Monday, April 27, 2009

Dr. Smith and Midas

Everytime the story of Midas comes up in class, I can only think of a Lost in Space episode I saw when I was a kid. Dr. Smith was somehow endowed with the ability of turning everything he touched to gold. At first he thought this was a freaking capital idea. He was in paradise, ecstasy of goldness! Then the good doctor realized that EVERY THING HE FREAKING TOUCHED TURNED TO GOLD. And I mean everything: spoons, food, chairs, trees, cats, robots, little monkeys. Finally, he moved out into the planetary wilderness, lived in a home of gold, but was a miserable, miserable man.

Then a poor misguided Penny tried to persuade him to come home. He screamed at her to leave. LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE ME BE. It was an odd moment of empathy uncharacteristic of such a man as Dr. Smith. But it would NOT BE. He touched her on accident, and was mortified that the little girl was now a little golden girl. Egads. Less to say, I don't remember what happened. I do know that greedy Dr. Smith learned another valuable lesson.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment